By Darci Miller | May 15, 2017, 2:06 p.m. (ET)
Team USA athletes do a lot in a week. In case you missed any of it, here’s a glimpse at our takeaways from the last seven days.
1. No Socks Day was on May 8, and there are 11 sports in which athletes compete sockless.
2. Just in time for Mother’s Day! Fencer Mariel Zagunis, a four-time Olympic medalist, announced that she’s expecting her first child in October.
3. Zagunis will join an elite group of Team USA moms, many of whom have competed while pregnant: Kerri Walsh Jennings, Serena Williams, Dana Vollmer and Alysia Montaño among them.
4. Congratulations are also in order for beach volleyball player Jen Kessy, who welcomed her second child, and gymnast Chellsie Memmel, who announced that she’s pregnant with her second!
5. Are you a beach volleyball fan? You’re not alone! Women’s beach volleyball is now sanctioned by the NCAA, and the sport continues to grow at the collegiate and youth levels.
6. Swimmer Anthony Ervin is almost 36 years old, but retirement is the furthest thing from his mind.
7. What has a racing chair, a horse and two dozen pairs of skates? The winners of the Team USA Awards for Best of April!
8. Olympic triathlete Katie Zaferes has big goals, including a trip to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. But to achieve them, she went tiny.
9. Zaferes competed at the ITU World Triathlon Series stop in Yokohama, Japan this weekend, where she took second place. Kirsten Kasper finished right behind in third, notching the best WTS placement of her career thus far.
10. Team USA said goodbye to bobsledder Steven Holcomb on Thursday, taking a stroll down memory lane and looking at some of the highlights of his legendary career.
11. The Lake Placid community gathered to celebrate Holcomb’s life, welcoming his teammates, competitors from around the globe and hundreds of people whose lives he touched.
12. Curler Jamie Sinclair has dreamed of the Olympics for her whole life, and now she has seven months left to make her dream come true.
13. Jackson Bantle and Hagen Smith are lifelong best friends, have played indoor volleyball together for 15 years, attend UCLA together and are graduating with bachelor’s degrees in geography and environmental studies. But only recently have their paired up to take on the beach together.
14. Newly-minted college graduates Kelly Claes and Sara Hughes have already been playing beach volleyball together for nearly six years and have yet to find a challenge too great to handle. Watch out, world!
15. Claes and Hughes’ final college victory? Winning the USA Volleyball Collegiate Beach Championships, part of the Team USA Summer Champions Series, presented by Comcast.
16. The 2018 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Curling might not be until November, but start getting excited now: the field of teams is officially set.
17. Bershawn Jackson is retiring from track and field at the end of this season and plans to go out strong: at his final Diamond League event in Shanghai, he kicked things off with a win.
18. Olympic golden boy Connor Fields was on top of a podium again on Saturday, earning the win at the UCI BMX Supercross World Cup in Belgium.
19. Water polo player Maggie Steffens is known for scoring the big goal. It was no different on Sunday, as it was her game-winner that gave Stanford University the NCAA title.